close
close

Sparks vs. Lynx: Can Rickea Jackson inspire a win after two losses to Minnesota? Injury report, starting lineup and prediction

Sparks vs. Lynx: Can Rickea Jackson inspire a win after two losses to Minnesota? Injury report, starting lineup and prediction

It will be exciting for the Los Angeles Sparks, as they will have to play against the Minnesota Lynx for the third time. The Lynx were one of the best teams in the league and are in first place in the Western Conference Division with 15 wins and 6 losses. But for Rickea Jackson’s LA Sparks, it is the exact opposite: they are in fifth place with just 5 wins and 16 losses.

So let’s weigh both sides when they face off again. Given their two wins over the Sparks, the stakes are overwhelmingly in the Lynx’s favor.

Injury updates and starting eleven for Los Angeles and Minnesota

ADVERTISING

The article continues below this ad

Minnesota’s key player Napheesa Collier is unlikely to play in the upcoming game because she injured her foot (plantar fasciitis) last week in the game against Connecticut. Collier’s participation in the game against the Sparks is questionable. It is probably best for her to rest and recover until the Olympic break. In addition, #0 guard Olivia Epoupa is also out with a left thigh injury.

Can Rickea Jackson turn the tide for the Sparks against the Lynx?

Maybe if she gets support

The Sparks remain at a 50-50 split, as their veteran Stephanie Talbot was recently sidelined with a left foot injury. As it turns out, she left the game at the end of the first quarter in yesterday’s game against Phoenix, so Kia Nurse and Azura Stevens will have to hold up more.

In addition, Lexie Brown joined freshman Cameron Brink last month as she too was out for the rest of the season due to Crohn’s disease.

via Getty

As for the starting lineup, Minnesota’s projected lineup includes Courtney Williams, Kayla McBride, Alanna Smith, Bridget Carleton and Dorka Juhasz. For Los Angeles, it’s Kia Nurse, Aari McDonald, Rickea Jackson, Dearica Hamby and Azura Stevens. So can the Sparks still make a difference?

Maybe Rickea Jackson and the Sparks will succeed the third time?

ADVERTISING

The article continues below this ad

Since Cameron Brink’s injury, Sparks rookie Rickea Jackson and other teammates have stepped up their roles tremendously, especially Dearica Hamby, who is in her 9th season in the league. She has become the team’s leading scorer with 19.1 points, 10.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.4 steals per game.

In addition, Hamby has recorded 13 double-doubles this season, scoring in double figures in almost every game. Rickea Jackson, on the other hand, despite being a rookie, scored a career-high 22 points in yesterday’s 84-78 loss to Phoenix. She averaged 10.9 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game.

However, according to ESPN’s Matchup Predictor, the Lynx have a 68.2% chance of winning, while the Sparks have a 31.8% chance of winning. So will the Sparks be able to refute that prediction? Only time will tell.

ADVERTISING

The article continues below this ad

Stay tuned for more updates like this and watch this video to hear what Shaq’s former agent Leonard Armato has to say about the infamous Shaq-Kobe feud, Caitlin Clark’s Olympic rejection and more.